Chicago Botanic Garden: Picture by Gigi See Original
she possesses softness and beauty
and remembers to hold them tightly
surrounding herself with love
and enveloping her soul with kindness
because while you should always be kind to others
it is equally important to be kind to yourself
and sometimes harder to do
~Poem by me
beautiful flower photo by Gigi
Filed under photos, Poetry
A couple of days ago Gigi posted a question “how can we, as artists (whatever our form), bloggers and international friends, USE our art, intelligence, CREATIVITY and our collective power, right NOW, to foster and spread peace and love throughout the world? How can we work TOGETHER to bring about change?”
We believe your passion is your Art. So whether your medium is paint, poetry, yarn, music or pottery YOU can be part of the movement.
There has been some discussion…please join in your voice is welcome!
1- all participating will display logo
2- we should create a monthly schedule of topics. I think it would be great if we discussed and decide on particular subjects/causes and create a schedule of topics that we could all write and publish at the same time each month. For instance: August- Peace in general, September- Spreading Kindness, October- Child Abuse Awareness… ((just examples))
3 on the designated day each month each of us would post on the topic scheduled and display the agreed upon logo.
4- everyone participating will post to their own blog and then the moderators will reblog them on artists4peace as well.
While we have much to discuss and things to iron out… I am happy to announce a new blog
where we can get to work on setting a foundation.
We will eventually have a monthly topic scheduled but for now if you have anything you would like to share on Artists4Peace please blog it and then email the link to email@example.com so we can make sure to reblog it. That way nothing will be missed!
Thank you for reading and I do hope you will get involved!
So if you haven’t gathered yet…today is my Birthday! 🙂 So that means people are supposed to do what I want!! LOL
So here is a list….. in no particular order. Please do one, some or all of the following and report back 🙂 Most are inexpensive and some are completely FREE so take a look. ((Oh this can carry over for the next few days…I don’t expect EVERYTHING to be done today!))
- Indulge a little… have cake or iceceam or banana pudding or chocolate! It’s ok cause I said so!
- Tape exact change to a vending machine… so someone else can have a little treat.
- Going for coffee or tea? Yeah! Now pay for the person behind you 🙂
- Go to the grocery store (I know I hate it too but I’m not making you go shopping…) and find a little old man or woman (there is ALWAYS at least one) and help them load their groceries in their vehicle.
- Sing a song…any song…sing it out loud…proudly! (No matter what you sound like!) 🙂
- Wherever you are…pick up some trash and put it in the proper receptacle… lets all beautify our surroundings a little tiny bit.
- Smile at a stranger and say Hello! (it will not hurt!)
- Feed a parking meter 🙂
- Go to a bookstore…browse and hey if you can buy a book!
- Have something pumpkin flavored…pumpkin muffin, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin spice latte… YUM! Tis the season 🙂
- If you are dining out and are receiving good service…ask for a manager and take time to compliment rather than complain!
- Call someone you love and tell them so!
- Go to a park or museum.
- Create something…write, draw, paint, knit, cook…whatever makes you happy.
- Dance 🙂
- Leave pennies on the ground facing headsup of course!
- Bring flowers to a nursing home.
- Let someone go in line in front of you 🙂
- Donate supplies or your time at an animal shelter.
- Leave a letter for your Mail Man/Woman 🙂
- Hand out balloons to strangers…especially children 🙂
- Bring cookies, brownies, pie, etc to a neighbor…whether you know them already or not!
- Donate old clothes you no longer wear.
- Read to someone!
- Clean out your pantry…anything still good that you do not want or forsee using in the near future? Donate it to a homeless shelter/soup kitchen.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Donate blood!
- Help someone with yard work or housework.
- Watch your favorite movie.
- Take 30 minutes for yourself….you have permission!
- Donate used books to a library.
- Going through a toll? Pay for the car behind you!
- Stop by your local firestation and thank them….bring treats.
- See an icecream truck in your neighborhood? Go buy a kid an icecream.
- Write and hide little love notes for your significant other. 🙂
- Go to a play or concert.
- LISTEN, really listen when someone is talking to you….whether it is a loved one or stranger or even the cashier checking you out. 🙂
🙂 Thank you in advance for helping me celebrate my Birthday!
Photograph: Keith Morris/Alamy
She sits quietly on the park bench
drinking a cup of rot-gut gas station coffee
to keep the cold and the monsters at bay
no matter her story or for that matter yours
can you spare her more than your indifference?
perhaps a smile or a kind word could brighten both of your days
“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” ~Aesop